Frequently Asked Questions2021-05-04T14:02:27+10:00

Frequently Asked Questions

For other enquiries please contact us or call Brisbane City Council’s 24/7 call centre on 3403 8888

How can I deal with a barking dog?2018-06-19T22:08:43+10:00

Under the Council’s Animal Local Law 2003, if a dog barks in excess of the following limitations it is considered a nuisance:

  • 7am – 10pm

more than six minutes of animal noise in any hour

  • 10pm – 7am

more than three minutes of animal noise in any half hour

Animal noise is also considered a nuisance if a Council officer finds it to be:

  • unreasonably disrupting or inhibiting an activity ordinarily carried out on a residential premises, such as hanging the washing out or gardening

Making a complaint about a barking dog
If your neighbour’s dog is barking excessively, you can take the following steps:

  • approach the dog’s owner and state your case clearly and politely
  • if the dog’s owner is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you can contact the Dispute Resolution Centre on 1800 017 288 – this service provides free mediation that is impartial, confidential and available 24 hours a day

If these methods don’t work, you can phone the Council on 07 3403 8888 to report the problem.

How does the Council handle complaints about barking dogs?
The Council will take the following steps after receiving a complaint about a barking dog:

  • investigate the complaint to determine whether the dog is causing a noise nuisance
  • if the dog is found to be causing a noise nuisance, the Council will serve the owner with a notice to remedy the nuisance and will offer assistance to achieve this
  • if the nuisance continues, the Council may issue a $375 fine
  • if the dog continues to create a nuisance, the Council may issue a notice to remove the dog. If the owner doesn’t comply, the Council may seize and impound the dog

How can I control my barking dog?
If your dog is barking excessively, consult a vet to determine the cause of the barking.

If the vet is unable to resolve the issue, contact an animal behaviouralist or a dog training organisation. Neighbours may be more patient with your dog’s barking if they are aware of the steps you are taking the fix the problem.


How do I deal with unwanted noise?2020-12-04T10:06:14+10:00

Noise can disrupt sleep and interfere with daily activities. If loud enough, it can also have a negative impact on people’s health.

Complaints not handled by Council
Brisbane City Council does not deal with noise complaints about:


The Environmental Protection Act 1994 provides exemptions from noise created from:

  • road maintenance
  • road noise
  • traffic signals
  • railway or railway signals
  • public transport infrastructure
  • maintaining public infrastructure, including:
    • water and sewage services
    • facilities for telecommunications or electricity
  • preventing or removing public health risks


Guide to decibel levels
Some noise regulations include a maximum loudness in decibels. Here are usual decibel levels for everyday situations:

  • quiet room in a house – 20 to 30 decibels
  • daytime in a quiet residential street – 35 to 45 decibels
  • large busy office – 50 to 60 decibels
  • lawn mower from 15 metres away – 70 decibels.


Residential premises
Council can issue an on-the-spot fine or a Direction Notice for nuisance residential noise. A Direction Notice will detail the offence and the timeframe the offender has to fix the problem. If the Direction Notice is not complied with, Council may issue an on-the-spot fine or prosecute the offender in severe cases.

The Environmental Protection Act 1994 outlines allowable noise levels for different types of equipment and activities.


Commercial and industrial premises
Some commercial and industrial properties have development approvals and conditions which must be complied with. If a company does not comply, Council may issue a Show Cause Notice or an Enforcement Notice.

An Enforcement Notice can require the company to comply with the development conditions, take specific action, or stop the activity causing the noise issues. Council can also prosecute offenders under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.


How to lodge a complaint
Find out how to lodge a complaint about a nuisance issue.


How can I update my electoral details?2018-06-19T22:03:14+10:00
Our office carries AEC enrolment forms that you can complete and send into the AEC. Alternatively, you can update your electoral details by completing an enrolment form from the Australian Electoral Commission website and mailing it to: Australian Electoral Commission, Reply Paid 9867, Brisbane 4000.
What can I do at Marchant Ward Office?2021-03-23T09:26:54+10:00
    • Collect brochures
    • Apply for the Free Plants Program
    • Obtain Council Green Waste and General Waste tip vouchers
    • Obtain a Pensioner Rate Remission Application
    • Pick up a free Graffiti removal kit
    • Obtain free notepads, calendars, magnets or pens
What grants are available through Brisbane City Council?2020-12-04T09:46:15+10:00

Brisbane City Council offers a range of different grants and funding programs to local non-profit community groups to help develop and improve services and facilities across Brisbane.
Application forms and guidelines for each program, as well as information relating to opening and closing dates, is available on Brisbane City Council’s Grants Page or by calling 3403 8888.

How can I look up a Development Application?2020-12-04T09:43:48+10:00

Current applications under assessment can be viewed at the new Brisbane City Council Service: Development.I

What are the responsibilities for cat and dog owners?2021-03-19T07:41:49+10:00

As a pet owner, you should ensure your pets are healthy, safe and properly cared for, while also ensuring your pet doesn’t become a neighbourhood nuisance. Find out what cat and dog regulations you need to follow.

Keeping a cat
As a responsible cat owner you should:

  • identify your cat with a collar and tag
  • desex your cat before it is six months old
  • vaccinate your cat annually
  • ensure your cat does not cause a nuisance for neighbours or impact wildlife
  • don’t leave uneaten pet food outside as this can attract pest or stray animals
  • keep your cat inside or secured from dusk to dawn
  • don’t let your pet attack or scare people

For more information click here

Keeping a dog
Your responsibilities as a dog owner are to:
register your dog before they reach three months of age and every year after that
• always walk your dog on a lead when in a public place, except in off-leash areas
• keep your dog quiet (see animal noise)
• keep your dog in your yard and maintain an enclosure that is appropriate to prevent it going over, under, through or otherwise escaping it
• prevent your dog attacking or frightening people or animals (see dangerous, menacing and restricted dogs)
• pick up after your dog when outside of your home
• microchip your dog in accordance with Queensland Government legislation. More information can be found under new requirements for cat and dog owners
For more information click here

What are the benefits of installing a rainwater tank?2019-12-20T08:50:23+10:00

A rainwater tank gives you your own water supply. You’ll save on your water bills, as well as help to:

  • reduce demand on the city’s main water supplies and network infrastructure
  • defer the need for new dams
  • reduce the size of water distribution pipes and the energy needed to operate supply systems
  • reduce stormwater run-off that can cause local erosion and flooding
  • improve water quality in local waterways, the river and the bay

The Council recommends you use your tank water for:

  • toilet flushing
  • watering the garden
  • washing the car
  • cold water washing machine taps

Using a 3,000 litre tank for toilet flushing, washing machine and outdoor use will cut the average Brisbane household’s use of mains water by 11%. Your local plumber, builder or rainwater tank supplier can give you information about installing a rainwater tank at your home. Before installing your tank, you may need to obtain plumbing and/or building approvals to make sure it meets plumbing and building standards.

What can I do about speeding traffic?2020-12-04T09:34:43+10:00

Enforcement of speed limits is the responsibility of the Queensland Police Service and any instances of speeding or other irresponsible and dangerous driver behaviour should be reported directly to your local Police Station for action. Written requests tend to receive a higher priority than phone calls. Brisbane’s road network consists of more than 7000km of roads and speeding is a problem right across the city. Other than Police enforcement, there are no quick or easy solutions to the widespread problem of speeding in suburban streets.

Council receives thousands of requests for traffic calming each year and it is not possible or practical to implement every request. Only around 10 percent of the requests processed by Council Road Network Officers meet the criteria necessary for work to proceed. While traffic calming may be effective in some situations, there are also instances where it is inappropriate, such as when the road in question is expected to cater for the safe and efficient movement of people and goods through a District or Region.

Traffic calming is unlikely to prevent irresponsible or anti-social driving (commonly known as “hooning”). In some cases, traffic calming has been know to exacerbate these problems by providing “hoons” with the opportunity to test their high performance vehicles under more challenging road conditions.

Traffic calming works are generally planned and implemented on an area-wide basis, called a Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) project, to ensure that traffic problems in one street are not relocated to another nearby street.

In most cases, the aim of an LATM project is to discourage through traffic from using suburban streets (Local Access Roads) instead of major traffic routes.

Given this aim, LATM projects can also cause significant inconvenience to local residents, who have to negotiate the traffic calming on a daily basis. This is a drawback that needs to be weighed up against any potential benefits a traffic calming project may deliver. As a result, community consultation is an important part of an LATM project.

Although Council considers a wide range of criteria when assessing the need for traffic calming, successful projects generally involve the following factors:

1) The roads under consideration are Local Access Roads, which are primarily required to provide access to adjoining properties and do NOT have a significant function for carrying through traffic in the road network.

2) Demonstrated community support for traffic calming measures (i.e. a petition or numerous letters, emails or phone calls from local residents), representing at least two-thirds of the households in the affected area. A similar proportion of those households should also be prepared to have a traffic calming device (road hump, chicane or intersection modification) adjacent to their property.

3) Significant non-local traffic volumes on Local Access Roads in a particular area (i.e. through traffic that is not generated by local residents or their visitors).

4) A significant proportion of vehicles exceeding the maximum lawful speed on Local Access Roads in an area.

If these factors are proven to exist, Council officers will list an area as a candidate for an LATM project in the future. Funding is allocated to these projects in each financial year’s budget based on city-wide priorities.

Once funding is allocated, potential projects commence a two-stage process, which usually happens over the course of two or more financial years. The first stage involves community consultation, consisting of a newsletter/questionnaire delivered to each household, outlining a conceptual scheme and inviting feedback to gauge the level of community support.

If a scheme is supported by at least 60% of respondents to the newsletter, all residents will be advised of the outcome and detailed design work will commence. This process includes further consultation with directly affected residents and property owners, whose properties are adjacent to proposed traffic calming measures.

Subject to satisfactory resolution of any issues arising in the detailed design process, such as property access, residential amenity or budgetary considerations, a submission for funding to construct the scheme is usually submitted for Council approval in the subsequent financial year’s budget.

This second stage of the project may be spread over more than one financial year, depending on the size of the area being treated and the amount of work involved in the scheme.

Go to Top